Monday, May 22, 2006

"Lil Miss Attitude"


Sometimes I wonder if I am doing it right...parenting that is! My almost five year old has a heart of gold and a spunky attitude. And as you can see in the picture she is just having fun. Her giggle is infectious and she loves hugs.

Lately, she has been a little on the difficult side. I am sure to some extent it is her desperate need for independence. I can relate. She changes clothes all the time, tries to be the one in charge, does exactly the opposite of what we tell her to do, etc.....She whines a lot and fights going to bed and just has an attitude. I know all kids tend to act in this way but it seems that this is going on despite our efforts to be firm and consistent. We have tried using the "naughty step" coined by Nanny Jo from Super Nanny and taken away privileges...to no avail.

So I have come up with a plan...I took it from Dr. Phil....he has great parenting advice.
Tomorrow morning I am stripping her room of everything fun that could distract her from bedtime and she will earn those things back in her room as we see her behavior improve. Dr. Phil would go so far as to leave her a pillow and blanket but I think that is a little extreme and I do not have room to store furniture.

The main thing I think is to stop parenting on the fly...I tend to try and discipline while I am doing 2 or 3 things at the same time. I need to stop and get down to her level and address the situation. Sometimes I forget that I am first and foremost a wife and a mother and all those other tasks, work and leisure time mean nothing if my home is not happy!

1 comment:

  1. What a cute picture! I wonder what Seb would think if I told him to go sit on the naughty step.

    ReplyDelete