Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I am back!!!!

Once again it has been awhile! Let's just say I have been very busy....3 kids in school, my business, church committments and volunteering at school have managed to keep me from writing. I do miss it but many times it is 11:00 p.m. before I have a chance to sit and then I am too tired. I am hoping...NOT PROMISING...to write more...sort of a New Year's Resolution. We will see...but I will try.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas..we did...it was very busy around here and now the toys have taken over the house...I am on a quest for no clutter as most of you already know and the clutter is winning. The kids are on break so they are playing with everything...who can blame them...but as I look at the toys that have not even been opened yet I cannot help but think there is too much. So this week I have been cleaning and sorting and yes making more trips to the local thrift store. When I keep taking stuff there I think where have I been keeping all this...and kicking myself for the being so wasteful...I know it all goes for a good cause and don't get me wrong...I love to shop at the thrift store...many treasures are to be had and I also think there is something to be said for choosing to buy something used if it suits the purpose. I love saving money by purchasing used clothing and household decorating items. It came in quite handy this fall as all the kids needed new everything...coats, snowpants, boots and the hats and gloves....I have no problem buying used items to fit those needs. I think that is just using money wisely. We are blessed with income but I believe we are all called to use it wisely. If you think of all the waste in our society...we are already recycling our trash why not carry that over to everyday items. Many things even if still useful get thrown away everyday.

Maybe it is Christmas that has me in a frugal mood...most people are forced into frugality after the holidays...often unnecessarily. Buying just for the sake of buying and then feeling miserable about it afterwards. Where is the joy in that?
My family had the pleasure of buying for a child in need this Christmas...we were given sizes and interests and a dollar amount to aim for and we had a hard time stopping. You see, an experience like that changes how you look at the giving and receiving. My husband and I struggled to come up with ideas for our families because you know what..we all have what we need...and while it is okay to have a few things you want...think about if you will still be using them or wearing them in six months....will you be on to the new and improved version of the item...because it is obsolete almost right after you buy it. I am not saying that we should get rid of gift giving...but it needs to be put back in it's place...as a heartfelt guesture...whether as a sign of love or gratitude. Not a competition to see who can give the best toy or gadget. We get so caught up in the joy of a good deal and that the item is "what everyone wants this year" that we forget about the entire reason for Christmas. We give gifts to our loved ones because we were given the greatest gift of all..God's Son Jesus!

I am not perfect and boy do I love a good sale and do I strive to be the one who give the kids the best gift....but I am challenging myself to be more thoughtful in choosing a gift and not worrying about the amount to spend and more about making it meaningful and about spending time with loved ones. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest of packages.

May the joy of Christmas live in your hearts all through the year!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with everything you've written. Hopefully my kids will someday see why we choose to spend the money as we do. Sure, I've spent our money in pretty dumb ways, but prayerfully those ways are changing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JENNY-YOU ARE SO SPECIAL. I REALLY LOVE TO READ WHAT YOU WRITE. YOU ARE SO RIGHT ON. EVERY YEAR WE TRY VERY HARD TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN THE REAL MEANING OF CHRISTMAS. WE READ THE CHRISTMAS STORY AND MAKE A HOME MADE BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR JESUS(WELL MY MOTHER IN LAW DOES ANYWAYS. THIS YEAR WE WENT AROUND THE ROOM AND AGAIN, SAID WHAT WE WERE THANKFUL FOR. IT IS TIMES LIKE THAT REALLY MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU APPRECIATE MOST. EVERY TIME I AM ASKED IT USUALLY IS THE SAME THING. FAMILY!

    ENJOY YOUR NEW YEAR AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE WRITING. I HOPE YOU CONTINUE. I PRAY YOU WILL HAVE THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen
    I hope you enjoyed "Confessions of a Prayer Wimp"! :-)
    May God bless you mightily as you continue to honor Him with your gifts!
    Joy to you today,
    Mary Pierce
    Psalm 84:5
    PS "When Did My Life Become a Game of Twister?" will be out in November. I'd love to have Zondervan send you a copy. Send me your address at mary@laughlady.com. :-) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete