Monday, March 28, 2011

In the Moments

When I reminisce about the days when they were little, I remember the times we let the to dos go and we let loose. We'd all run through the sprinkler, crank the music, sing our hearts to a wooden spoon and dance like no one is watching. Little feet piled into our bed, sharing story after story, some from the shelf and some from the heart; as we finish each, they murmur "just one more, please." We slowed the hurry and we were in the moment.

Years later, life is more hurried, the big kids are bigger and we slow less. We slowed tonight. We started dinner late...with our teenager's iPod in the kitchen we danced and stirred food to a little Twisted Sister, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Taylor Swift. Dancing silly, singing loud...song after song. We slowed to be in the moment.

So often I am always doing to get to the next thing. So much so that all tasks become mindless. I hurry to complete and I miss the moment. The moment in all things to be thankful. As I race to the shower, making lunches, locating backpacks, drive, drop off...all life and all good and all worthy of thanks.

Thankfulness gives way to Him...to see Him in it all, right here, right now. Not surface thankfulness for all we have, but in each and every thing...to see Him and count it from Him. It is a life full. My life is full. These snippets of time are so full of grace.

Grace that wipes fresh the tone I used earlier with them...the crumbs, the dishes, the shoes piled by the door...I lost it. Living in the moment and living in this thankfulness calms my heart and calls me to see the gift of crumbs, dishes and shoes and more.
I count them:

25. Food that makes crumbs and dirties dishes.

26. Little, and not so little, feet that fill the mounds of shoes.

27. Music that brings out the child in each of us.


Inspired by Eucharisteo, the theme in Ann's book




3 comments:

  1. I hope some day I'll be half the mom that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are such beautiful reminders to slow down and cherish this time while they are young, make it a habit for me and for my husband, so that, perhaps, as they grow older, it will be cemented in our minds. Thank you for that. I'm loving One Thousand Gifts and the points she makes about hurry robbing us of thankfulness.
    And this part gave me goosebumps.: "Grace that wipes fresh the tone I used earlier with them...the crumbs, the dishes, the shoes piled by the door...I lost it. Living in the moment and living in this thankfulness calms my heart and calls me to see the gift of crumbs, dishes and shoes and more."
    Love this.

    ReplyDelete