Thursday, October 04, 2012

Day 4: This is Why I am Here

I have learned there is always more to the story.

In my hurried busy working mom life, I was very impatient.  I often brushed off my children's questions, saying..."in a minute." Only to go to bed and realize I forgot to hear them out. Ouch! 

I am re-learning this role. 

Today, I just wanted her to do her homework. I was doing dishes and cooking and monitoring what everyone else was up to. 

I was certain she was just procrastinating.  

We were talking through why I received a call from the nurse AGAIN! How we cannot come home just because we have a tickle in our throat or even croup that is getting better.

Then I felt the nudge...to ask if something else was going on?  

Then the tears flowed and it became apparent this had nothing to do with not feeling well. Things were rough in her day and she spent much of it just trying to get through.

We talked about how it is not fair to be treated that way and how to be kind even when it is not returned. That someday she will be rewarded for her strength, even though she just feels like crumbling.

She nodded as if to say..."I know Mom, you don't have to tell me again!"

We have had this talk before and she remembers but she needs to hear it again...she needs me again and again.

I was there. This is why I am here.

Home.



I am writing for 31 Days of Finding My Way Home Again as part of The Nester's  31 Days writing challenge.

Read all my 31 Days posts here

1 comment: