Friday, January 25, 2013

One Word: AGAPE


I was okay with this for a very long time. I was comfortable with this distance and less intimate relationship...or even lack of a relationship.  But as I have shared before life broke and fell apart and I am just wowed at where that journey has taken me. What I have learned, what I have become and what He has become {really always was} to me.

What does any of that have to do with my "One Word". There is this movement to chose a word rather than a laundry list of resolutions that basically point out all the things we are doing wrong...at least that is how it makes me feel. And honestly I hesitate about choosing a word for the year...like I did in 2011 .

Despite my hesitation, the Lord was clearly placing a word on my heart...one that captures it all. It is the essence of the God of All! A word that was not about fixing my wrongs...though it can send hatred, greed and more to their knees. I have had to sit in it for the last 25 days before I could share. I was like why not simplicity or peace...so I waited and 25 days has shown me more than 25 times why.

photo credit
Agape (ah-ga-pay), is the word used for the love God has for us. It is unconditional, it does not expect anything in return, it loves even when we reject it.  The love poured out on us through His son Jesus.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight from evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. -Corinthians 13:4-8

It is something to know or recognize the love but to receive it an entirely different thing. Sometimes we don't feel worthy, don't see how it makes a difference. But He is already there, loving with a love like no other, filling our empty places, no matter what. Did you read that?  No matter what you have done, not done, said or not said. It never fails. Even if we are not willing to receive it.

What I have come to learn is I need that love; I didn't really realize it until recently. But the Lord whispered to me  "let my love be enough, don't try to find reasons why you are not worthy, because you are worthy...just come let me show you, let me love you."

Even when it seems it wouldn't make any wrongs right, heal hurts or a relationship or just make me feel better right now. I have had to empty myself of the idea of living up to some expectation in order to be worthy of His love. When you empty yourself of the world...be prepared to be filled.

When you are filled you spill out. This unconditional love bestowed upon me...may it be sewn into every fiber of my being so that it may go with my feet, touch with my hands and be all that is uttered from my lips...to my God, my family, my friends, strangers, my enemies.

Jesus was born of love, lived among the people in love, died for love...let us go forth and LOVE.

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

It is not always that simple, yet it is...so when it is hard I just ask Him to carry me to the table...



Carried to the Table
from Leeland on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

    I love that. Lately I find myself craving God. At first, after Blaine, it was need. I thought I'd better get myself straight with the Lord so I would be able to see my son again. But now I can say it has transformed to a genuine love, honour and want.

    Just another lesson my son's life brought me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, this is such a beautiful look into the heart of the word and into your heart. May He carry you to the table daily this entire year. And may we remember momently that we love *because* he *first* loved us.

    ReplyDelete