Monday, September 30, 2013

Intro: 31 Days to Wholesome Dinners for Busy Families

I really wasn't planning on writing for 31 days in October. Though I miss writing terribly, I resigned myself to the fact that maybe this just isn't the season for it. But then as the school year has progressed and new fall sports/activities have begun I realized how much I needed to learn more and plan more to have dinner on the table every night.

So the more I thought about it, the more I realized I am probably not the only one with 4 kids (even 4 kids in 4 different schools), with sports and church and two working parents who just want to have a healthy home cooked dinner. 

The goal is to find time through proper planning and cooking ahead to consistently have a "wholesome" meal on the table. 

Whole·some
: helping to keep your body healthy : good for your health
: morally good
: suggesting good health or behavior

The meals will be well rounded, loaded with as many fresh ingredients as possible, have variety, sometimes organic and eaten at home! That might be the hardest part. But we are going to try. Some exceptions to this are when we have plans such as a basketball party for one of our kids and Wednesday nights we almost always do pizza at church.

They probably won't be gourmet, won't always be organic, free range, grass fed etc...but it will be food that fuels our bodies and a bit of pause and time together that fuels our souls in this crazy good, but crazy busy life!

My hope is to discover several more options for our menu that allow for leftovers, which rarely happens. I am still learning how to adjust how much I make with 6 of us in the house-3 of which are tween/teens-with enormous appetites. To reduce trips to the grocery store and ultimately saving money.

I have already begun researching, pinning recipes.

So what exactly will I share here each day? Meal plans or at least what I made that particular day, the recipe, maybe even a photo. I am also hoping to discover ways to move towards more organic, grass fed, free range options that fit my family's budget. 

I know this can be done and I am committed to making this work for my family in a way that sticks past the 31 days and hopefully you will be encouraged to do the same.



I am linking up with The Nester for #31Days of writing in October 

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to these! With my new diagnosis (gestational diabetes) I can't just 'wing it' anymore, apparently.

    ReplyDelete