Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Day 2: To Blanch or Not to Blanch?

There was no meal plan for tonight at home since we do pizza at church on Wednesdays. I thought I might write about community meals and fellowship but decided to go another direction.

I often purchase fresh produce with very good intentions only to end up tossing more of it than I would like. I have been researching and learning from friend how to preserve the fresh produce before going bad. This is a great way to save money and it aids in  prepping meals, making it easier to have a wholesome dinner on the table each night.

If I use part of an onion, I immediately dice the rest and place in a freezer bag and freeze. It has worked great to pull out just what I need for another recipe. I throw them in scrambled eggs, in the slow cooker with a roast or any veggie saute. I also do this with bell peppers and just recently learned I can do this with zucchini as well.

I have been washing and saving the ends of carrots, onions, celery stalks and the leafy part and throwing it in a freezer bag and I just add to it as I have more. This is great to make your own veggie stock. There are great overnight recipes on Pinterest. It is super easy, healthy and delicious. Here is a picture of mine as it was getting started in the slow cooker.



I also will take berries that we maybe are not going to eat before they go bad and wash them well, pat dry and freeze...this works great in smoothies or pancakes.

I am looking for more info on other veggies I would like to freeze. I am notorious for buying the sugar snap pea pods in a bag and never eating them all before the date or even not even opening the bag.

I keep thinking I could give them an extra wash and freeze...but it begs the question "To Blanch or not to blanch?"

There is much debate online about whether you must blanch (scald) fresh veggies before freezing.

I would be curious to know what you know on the topic or have experienced yourself.

Are there other veggies that can be frozen that I don't know about?

I am going to start experimenting with potatoes. I always end up tossing part of a bag...can I make a large batch , mash them and freeze them...how well do they thaw and reheat.

It will be great to have additional fresh items I can preserve on hand to be able to throw together wholesome dinners for my family each night!



I am joining The Nester for #31Days of writing in October 

No comments:

Post a Comment