Saturday, October 05, 2013

Day 5: In Defense of the Hotdish

I grew up on hotdish. There were many varieties. From goulash to tator tot, from tuna noodle to chow mein hotdish.

Over the years though it has gotten a bad rap and has been replaced with gourmet type meals on an average evening home. I don't have time for gourmet on weeknights. I am looking for good old fashioned stand by meals with a healthier twist.  One of the unhealthy culprits in most hotdishes is canned cream soups.

I have all but mastered my own homemade version and it has served us well.

I give you my homemade cream of celery soup...I have also made cream of mushroom and that goes over pretty well as long as the mushroom pieces are small.



Here it is with the hamburger.


Tator tots are not all created equal either but I do believe this is a bit healthier option over the store brand. Besides all things in moderation, right? It is not like we eat tator tots 3 times a week. Once every couple months actually.


Mix it all together and pop it in the oven for about thirty-ish minutes



We served it up with some salad and cucumbers and petit peas. The entire meal was a hit.
























I took the opportunity while I was cooking this meal to save a few things to avoid waste. It meant blanching some sugar snap peas and cutting and freezing some onion and celery that wasn't going to get used soon enough before going bad.


























I am joining The Nester for #31Days of writing in October

No comments:

Post a Comment